Fire Emblem - Fūin no Tsurugi (Remake)

Superluigi

Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals

Hack of: FE7 The Blazing Sword

Changes from the original:

- The main change will be the inclusion of a special route (Replacing Hectors), which will follow the story of many of the other playable characters during their battles outside of the new Lycian alliance, such as Hector's defense of Castle Araphen against Narshen and Brenya.

- Blinking frames!

- Some chapter maps will be changed due to the fact that there is no corresponding tile-sets in FE7 such as the maps on the western isles, which either be replicated in another tile-set or changed completely.

- You will not have to visit all the gaiden chapters to access the final chapters, mainly because some of these chapters 'MAY' be removed. These chapters 'MAY' also be replaced with new chapters introducing characters from the Hasha no Tsurugi manga.

- There will be one or two new chapters that will expand the original storyline.

- Some of the events will be changed to accommodate some of my personal changes. Such as the village in Chapter 1 will not be destroyed since you'll now be able to get Roy's Rapier from there, since he'll now start with an iron sword.

- The characters growths will be slightly edited to make them more even and fair.

- Some characters that don't play much story role 'MAY' be removed to make more space, such as Astohl and Gonzales.

- Some characters 'MAY' be made NPCs instead of playable characters like Yodel.

- Some characters will have different classes, such as Wendy will now be a (f) cavalier, and Noah will be a Mercenary 'if he stays that is'.

- Slight changes to the script, but nothing much, mainly to simply remove any modern-day phrases.

Screenshots:

[spoiler=Chapter 1]fesosscrns1.png

[spoiler=Chapter 2]fesosscrns2.png

[spoiler=Chapter 3]fesosscrns3.png

Patches:

Current Demo: New patch

Goes up to chapter 8, includes '.sav' file.

Credits:

Help and Support (both direct and indirect): Arch, shadowofchaos, Blazer, Nayr

Beta-testers: Seph1212 (and for his Let's Play), Xiltas

Notes:

- The screenshots shown may differ from the actual hack.

- If I've missed your name in the credits and you helped in some way, just scream.

- This page will be edited and updated later, I'm tired ATM.

- Roy route uses Eliwood's mode, so you'll have to grab a savefile to play the demo.

Edited by Superluigi

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toss in some lines revealing who Roy and Lilina's mothers are plz

Fanboys/girls will reag if it's a pairing they don't like.

Looks like an interesting hack, may play.

Edited by AstraLunaSol

Fanboys/girls will reag if it's a pairing they don't like.

Looks like an interesting hack, may play.

Exactly. Fanboy/girl reagtears are like mother's milk.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done already, it sounds like a good idea. Although I wonder if would be more interesting to use FE8 as a base, since it's more recent than FE7 and contains more features. I can't remember what FE8's tilesets are like though, so I'm guessing that's the main issue.

Also, do you have the Hasha portraits sorted or do you need help with those?

Every time I try patching this (with both NUPS and Tsukuyomi), I get really weird effects. Like, multiple Roy portraits, Roy listed as Eliwood, using Eliwood's battle sprite, etc. This is for the (U) version of the ROM, right? (If not, that would be a wonderful thing to denote somewhere.) (And, the ROM works as a base for other patches, so it's not the file.)

As a side note, you might consider looking into importing tilesets to handle some of those problem cases. I don't know the exact method for doing so (seeing as I'm not a hacker myself), but Ryrumeli has a means of doing it and could provide the instructions for doing so.

EDIT - Glad you posted this here, by the way, since I didn't feel like making an account just to post the above comments elsewhere. >_>

EDIT2 - I just downloaded a completely new ROM and patched the file with the patch using NUPS. I still got the same result.

Edited by Lord Glenn

Yeah, you need to play from Eliwood's mode. Superluigi should definitely make that more clear, or change the prologue events to redirect you to the first chapter.

I was gonna do this :(

Ah well. It look's good so far. I'll give it a try when the demo is longer.

I like how you edited the mugshots though. They look much better.

@ Lord Glenn: Me thinks you need to import a save.

Here, the second one.

That worked, thanks.

Yeah, you need to play from Eliwood's mode. Superluigi should definitely make that more clear, or change the prologue events to redirect you to the first chapter.

I concur. Especially since it didn't say anything about that in the information in the first post. And, personally, the latter option would be much preferred, as it makes less room for user-error (and saves SL from having to field tons of questions from people who don't know what they're doing). Though, I will say that the character select screen is now a bit "confusing" since the sprites and names don't really match (not that it's really important)...

------

EDIT - Though it's probably a known issue, the pre-chapter dialog hasn't been touched for Ch. 1.

EDIT2 - I played through the prologue just to make sure things were working, and they are. Looking good thus far, and I'll probably play through Ch. 2 and 3 tomorrow.

Edited by Lord Glenn

I think that you were smart to go with FE7. It has more hacking capacity (hackers know what I mean...) and the different modes which will probably be a convenience to you with your ideas. Also, I know I've already commented on this hack multiple times, but it can't be helped. I am a big fan of yours.

- Some chapter maps will be changed due to the fact that there is no corresponding tile-sets in FE7 such as the maps on the western isles, which either be replicated in another tile-set or changed completely.

I'll see if I can help you with this. Just... not now. When it becomes an issue, you can let me know. I'll probably write a tutorial on it by that time though.

You will not have to visit all the gaiden chapters to access the final chapters, mainly because some of these chapters 'MAY' be removed. These chapters 'MAY' also be replaced with new chapters introducing characters from the Hasha no Tsurugi manga.

Sounds beast. Hasha is cool.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done already, it sounds like a good idea. Although I wonder if would be more interesting to use FE8 as a base, since it's more recent than FE7 and contains more features. I can't remember what FE8's tilesets are like though, so I'm guessing that's the main issue.

Also, do you have the Hasha portraits sorted or do you need help with those?

As said earlier, FE7 has the Eliwood/Hector mode differentiation, more chapters, more utilities/modules/hacking capacity, and IIRC Superluigi already did an FE8 hack (although I don't recall it being completed). Tilesets shouldn't be a big problem assuming I can import them from FE6 and Superluigi is competent enough to do it, which I'm sure he is because his hacks are awesome. :D

Also, @Superluigi on the topic of portraits, if you do need help, I can see if I can find some competent spriters to help. *I know one fellow who is VERY generous and kind and is good at making portraits, esp. if he has references...*

It's just an offer, so pay it no mind if I'm butting in and shouldn't be worrying about the portraits. XP

Edited by Luffy

I'll see if I can help you with this. Just... not now. When it becomes an issue, you can let me know. I'll probably write a tutorial on it by that time though.

That, or simply import the tilesets from FE6... Ryru just copied and pasted the FE7 snow tileset on FE8 and it worked like a charm...

Edited by shadowofchaos

As said earlier' date=' FE7 has the Eliwood/Hector mode differentiation, more chapters, more utilities/modules/hacking capacity, and IIRC Superluigi already did an FE8 hack (although I don't recall it being completed). Tilesets shouldn't be a [i']big[/i] problem assuming I can import them from FE6 and Superluigi is competent enough to do it, which I'm sure he is because his hacks are awesome.

This exactly, although technically FE8 has more chapters thanks to the Tower of Valni and the Ruins, I'm mainly using FE7 for the 3 way route split, and the Elibe world map events, which I'll hopefully get round to editing.

Also' date=' do you have the Hasha portraits sorted or do you need help with those?[/quote']Also, @Superluigi on the topic of portraits, if you do need help, I can see if I can find some competent spriters to help. *I know one fellow who is VERY generous and kind and is good at making portraits, esp. if he has references...*

Thanks, since I'll want good sprites for Al, Gant, Tiena, Zeed and Jemmy. I might have ago at some of the minor characters myself, but I'd be great If all the main characters had awesome sprites.

I concur. Especially since it didn't say anything about that in the information in the first post. And' date=' personally, the latter option would be much preferred, as it makes less room for user-error (and saves SL from having to field tons of questions from people who don't know what they're doing). Though, I will say that the character select screen is now a bit "confusing" since the sprites and names don't really match (not that it's really important)...[/quote']

I'll sort out all the aesthetics later, but I'll go and edit the first post now, just so everyone else knows.

Dieck + Ravens help message = Bad
I got a little lax with the 'R' Button descriptions' date=' sorry about that.

Oh and a few teaser screens from chapter 4, which can be played in the Demo but is [s']very[/s] incomplete.

fesosscrns4teaser.png

@Shadowofchaos wow another person brings up that video... if you read the description, it was already inside the game... although importing tilesets really isn't hard or anything special.

@Superluigi, new pics look good, and you can PM Nayr, the main guy I was talking about, on Pokemblem if you need any sprites (he just needs a good reference, he says). Also, about the tilesets, just copy/paste the data in the pointers found in the FE8 event table editor (or FE6... oh wait, FE6 doesn't have one yet, does it?) for the object type, tile config, and palette, and you're set to go, amazingly enough. I'll still write a tutorial for noobs/people who want to be sure about what they should do...

Edited by Luffy

I hope you don't take out too many characters. Also why not make Hector route have chapters that go with the Hasha manga to make it more creative. Like make Al the main lord and give Al, Tina, and Gant their own custom animation.

I know it's A LOT of work so I'll be happy with anything.

@Shadowofchaos wow another person brings up that video... if you read the description, it was already inside the game... although importing tilesets really isn't hard or anything special.

The battle tilesets were already in the game ._.

As in the backgrounds there were never used in the game... Ryru had to actually import it...

Although, you probably already know how easy it is technically since you already included how to do it in your 183+ page Ultimate Tutorial

I hope you don't take out too many characters. Also why not make Hector route have chapters that go with the Hasha manga to make it more creative. Like make Al the main lord and give Al' date=' Tina, and Gant their own custom animation.

I know it's A LOT of work so I'll be happy with anything.[/quote']I don't plan to take many, if any, characters out. The original idea was to take Barte out and replace him with Al, since Al escapes from the mines at around the same point in the FE6 storyline, a few other characters would have been replaced for Al and his friends in the other route. But I've scraped that idea.

Hector's route will contain special chapters that will expand on the original storyline and allow for the trial map characters, and some of the trial maps, to be played in game. I have already planned out the first few chapters.

A few of the chapters will also show Al, Gant and Tania's side of the story. However there will be a special prologue, 'Lyn's mode', entirely dedicated to the pre-FE6 storyline focusing on the opening chapters of the Hasha no Tsurugi manga.

Edited by Superluigi

I don't plan to take many, if any, characters out. The original idea was to take Barte out and replace him with Al, since Al escapes from the mines at around the same point in the FE6 storyline, a few other characters would have been replaced for Al and his friends in the other route. But I've scraped that idea.

Hector's route will contain special chapters that will expand on the original storyline and allow for the trial map characters, and some of the trial maps, to be played in game. I have already planned out the first few chapters.

A few of the chapters will also show Al, Gant and Tania's side of the story. However there will be a special prologue, 'Lyn's mode', entirely dedicated to the pre-FE6 storyline focusing on the opening chapters of the Hasha no Tsurugi manga.

:blink: That's waaayyy more than I even would've thought. Man I love your ideas! If everything goes to plan then two great FEs will be released. I would love to help I have a lot of time right now the only problem is that Nightmare is all I can do, that an SNES Palette editor on FE6-8 >_<

I finally got around to playing the other two chapters.

I noticed a bug in Ch. 2 with the Armory (and likely the Vendor as well): If you max out a character's inventory and try to send an item to the Convoy, they come back and say that you don't have one (despite the fact that Merlinus is there and can even be accessed by allied units).

Also, I personally don't really care for the Serra!Cleric edit for Ellen, since I think the original one fit the character a bit better...

EDIT - You also can't send items to the Convoy if you get a 6th item from a chest/drop either.

EDIT2 - Also, two Halberds from the two chests in the same room in Ch. 3...?

Edited by Lord Glenn

Superluigi, do you have Merlinus with the same ID as in FE7? Having Merlinus (0x28) in the party activates all Convoy related functions. You can still have him join as the promoted Transporter (he will stay that way).